Keys to proper lifting
keys to proper lifting
- Stand close to the object to be lifted.
- Spread your feet wide apart to straddle the object.
- Squat, bending your knees and hips, keeping your back in proper alignment.
- Contract your stomach muscles.
- Lift by using the work of your leg muscles, not your back.
- When lifting with another person, one person should say when to lift, walk and unload.
- Do not twist as you lift. Instead, pivot with your hips and shoulders in line and shift your weight.
- Mentally prepare, by planning what you are going to do.
- Push, don’t pull, whenever possible.